Monday, June 6, 2011

Hallelujah in the Dark (Bright Spots)


Hallelujah in the dark, hallelujah as it sings from every flicker of every naked bulb.
Hallelujah for the 60 watts of clarity, hallelujah for the endless chiaroscuro.
Hallelujah in the highest, which my head bumps into
if I do not stoop too low.

Bright spots danced down from my eyes, across my fingers,
and they wet the dry, black powder of the shadows,
the shadows that traced swinging words.
God, write more with this torrential bursting forth,
God, drown some uncertainties in the rippling hardwood!
God, let the planks grow some new leaves;
so old, so dry, do they even remember?
God, let them twine through my nostrils,
let them encircle my wrists and cradle my neck,
and let them flower lotus blooms between my legs,
naked in the dark, revealed.

Take me back to the beginning,
give me back to me, to You, to Om;
oh hallelujah, save our souls!

The planks rend and the soul blossoms.


2 comments:

  1. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise. Give thanks unto him and bless his holy name. Only then bring your supplication to the greatest, the one, the only God who is infinite, eternal, unchangeable, and decidedly not a coke machine.
    Whether you intended it or not, this sounds like a stream of consciousness progression of thoughts and ideas as well as a beautiful progression of praise to prayer, to the two magnificently intertwined here:

    "Take me back to the beginning,
    give me back to me, to You, to Om;
    oh hallelujah, save our souls!"

    Light and darkness. Shadows and hallelujah. The pictures, the tone, even the letters and lines of the physical words. The parallels and repetition. The intertwining, overlapping circles of hallelujahs and planks and blooms that create a chain from the beginning to the end.

    God, write more with this torrential bursting forth.

    Those aren't your words. Those are the words of everyone who has ever been created to create. Because we all know how it feels.

    You have created a beautifully resonating instrument here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you include "om"?

    ReplyDelete